Week two of The Great American Recipe is all about the Daily Dish! And the judges had some news for the cooks.
While the episode kicked off with the sad news that Mike had to leave the competition, we were excited to see the rest of the chefs continuing on. The judges also revealed that every week, they will be offering pointers and tips to the cooks to help them improve over the course of their time in The Great American Recipe kitchen.
The first challenge for this theme is for our cooks to make a “quick dish, using your staple pantry ingredients.” These are the things you would have on hand all the time.
So what is everyone making?
The Great American Recipe Takes on the idea of the Daily Dish
- Ted – Feta and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Relle – Chicken Katsu with Edamame Rice and Tonkatsu Sauce
- Abbe – Dan Dan Sliders
- Maria – Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Khela – Garlicky Shrimp with Spinach and Rice Pilaf
- Brad – Baharat Seasoned Chicken Thighs and Hummus
- Salmah – Pepper Steaks
- Leanna – Creamy Sundried Tomato Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes
Honestly, all eight of these home cooks are creating delicious dishes that clearly represent their culinary perspective. And we are loving it! We love getting to know these cooks through their food.
And just like in the first season, it is clear that all of these cooks are connecting on a deeper level. They are becoming friends. And this is something you don’t see in many culinary competitions. But, it is something we enjoy seeing.
Following the first round of judging, the judges had some pointers and great comments for each of the cooks. But which cooks had the best dishes? Salmah and Brad had the best dishes.
For round two, it’s time to break out the noodles! In 60 minutes, the cooks have to make a noodle dish that represents them and their culture.
So what are the cooks making this time?
- Leanna – Jerk Alfredo Pasta with Pan-Seared Scallops
- Salmah – Vamazelli
- Ted – Beef Kokkinisto with Macaronada (Makaronia)
- Abbe – Sweet Noodle Kugel
- Relle – Chicken Hekka with Wontons
- Brad – Nukides with Lamb Sauce
- Maria – Bison Pho
- Khela – Saucy Beef and Mushrooms over Egg Noodles
Honestly, it does feel like there were more challenges this round for our cooks. The judges ranked the dishes this time around, and they wanted to share who had the least successful dishes. Ultimately it was Leanna and Ted at the bottom of the pack. So who has the best dishes for this round of The Great American Recipe? At the top we had Abbe and Salmah with the best dishes. And the number one dish came from Abbe!