When it comes to summer fun and good eats, there are some products that come to mind instantly. And on the Fourth of July, the one thing that pops into our heads without hesitation is Nathan’s Hot Dogs.
Not only do we think of the Nathan’s Hot Dog eating contest, but just the idea of grilling up some of Nathan’s hot dogs has our stomachs’ grumbling and our mouth watering. But this year, Nathan’s wants to take your hot dog eating to the next level. And that means creating an epic side dish that could easily be a meal all on its own.
So what is this amazing dish they want us to whip together with their hot dogs? It’s like the ultimate plate of nachos! We are talking about their Hot Dog Totchos.
Forget the chips and dip, for this summer we are baking up platter of Hot Dog Totchos. And if you want to create this dish for your own Fourth of July gathering, or really any cookout this summer, it really is quite easy.
Nathan’s inspires us to think outside the hot dog bun with this recipe for Hot Dog Totchos!
This recipe is for comfort food and party food on one plate and it will take about 50 minutes to make this dish. It also serves between six and eight people, so make sure you have people to help you eat this (or not, no judgement).
What you’ll need:
- 1 pack of the Nathan’s Famous Skinless Beef Franks
- 1 32 ounce bag of frozen tater tots
- 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 can of black beans that has been drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of corn kernels (fresh or frozen, just make sure they are thawed)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup of quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 of a small red onion chopped finely
- 1 large jalapeno sliced thin
- Optional – Sour cream and lime wedges for serving
What to do:
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
- Take a baking sheet with a rim and spread out your tater tots. Bake the tots for 30 minutes.
- While the tots are baking, slice your hot dogs into 1/2″ rounds. And heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add your hot dog slices and the taco seasoning to the heated skillet. Cook up your hot dogs, stirring frequently to prevent burning. It should take about five minutes to get the hot dogs to a golden brown.
- Pull the tater tots from the oven and scatter the browned hot dogs over the top. You will also add your beans, the corn, and both cheeses over the top.
- Bake everything together for an additional 10 minutes. until all the cheese has melted.
- After the cheese has melted, pull the pan and then top with the jalapenos, the onions, and the tomatoes.
- Serve with the sour cream and lime if desired.
Now, I don’t know about you, but this seems pretty straightforward but also amazingly delicious. I mean this is magic in a baking sheet if you ask me! And not only that, but you can always have some fun with this and add in some of your favorite nacho toppings (fresh salsa, fresh tomatillos, pico de gallo anyone?).
But what do you think? For more ways to enjoy Nathan’s Hot Dogs, check out their social media page!
Are you a fan of Nathan’s Hot Dogs? Have you ever whipped up a dish like these Hot Dog Totchos before? How do you enjoy your hot dogs? Tell us in the comments below.