If you are a fan of Tequila, then you likely know the play on the classic children’s song of “One Potato, Two Potato.” And if not…basically it goes, “one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.” It’s funny because it’s true (for some of us). But on National Tequila Day, we want to make sure we are giving you some foodie suggestions that will keep you off the floor and enjoying your weekend.
And what better way is there to enjoy National Tequila Day (besides with the Tequila of course), than with some food that works well with this liquor? And sure, at least one of these items is going to seem obvious, but hopefully each of these suggestions will end up inspiring you to drink responsibly (and keep some food in your belly).
Of course, if you want a cocktail recipe, we have you covered with that as well, because we can’t celebrate the liquor itself, without also offering an alternate way to enjoy it. Whether in a cocktail, strait out of a glass, or with a bite to eat, we think this list of foods will help make your National Tequila Day a winner.
5 foods that pair well with your Tequila and cocktails for National Tequila Day
- Tacos – Tacos are always a winner. And considering how often we actually pair tacos and Tequila already, this one just makes sense. Whether you are enjoying a Tequila based cocktail or a straight shot, this is a classic pairing that makes sense. And depending on the filling for your tacos, you can expertly pair a fish or shrimp taco with a silver or white Tequila, while the meatier tacos, like pork and chicken would work better with something along the lines of a reposado or even a Mezcal.
And if you want a perfect cocktail to pair with your tacos, why not give the IK Margarita from NIZUC Resort & Spa a try?
What you need:
- 2 Ounces of Silver Tequila Centenario
- 1 Ounce of a Habanero-infused simple syrup (When making your simple syrup at home, introduce habanero in the reduction process.)
- 1 Ounce of fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 Ounces of triple sec
- Chili powder, salt
What to do:
Start by prepping your glass. Rim your glass with salt and chili powder. In a cocktail shaker, add the Tequila, lime juice, triple sec, and simple syrup with ice. Cap the shaker and shake it up for at least 10 to 15 seconds. (Have fun with your shake, it is National Tequila Day after all.) Strain the mix into the prepared glass with fresh ice cubes. Garnish with a fresh wedge of lime and if you are feeling extra spicy, a habanero slice.
- Steak – You can never go wrong with a good steak, and when it comes to enjoying classic cocktails or even straight shots, the red meat of a steak will help you enjoy your Tequila without ruining the flavor or the vibes. While I never go with an overly fancy cut of steak, a NY Strip and even a Flank Steak are an excellent choice when pulling together food pairings.
- Dark Chocolate – Did you know that an aged spirit will pair well with dark chocolates? Having actually taken part in a chocolate pairing lesson courtesy of Ferrero Rocher and their Golden Gallery Signature chocolates, I have learned so much about how to pair chocolate and alcohol. And if you happen to be a fan of Lady M’s, they even have a Dark Chocolate cake that seems like a perfectly decadent option for a pairing (if you are being extra classy that is).
- Pulled Pork – When it comes to more meaty pairings, white meat is often the best choice for a Tequila. And since it is summer and we love a good brisket or BBQ, we can’t help but think some good, old-fashioned pulled pork is a perfect choice for your sipping and munching needs. These two compliment each other well and will keep you from hitting the floor at the end of the night. It’s a win-win right there.
- Nachos – If all you want is a real snack (versus a meal like the steak, pork, and even the tacos give you), then nachos will always reign supreme. The corn tortillas of the chip will help to absorb some of the alcohol, and the toppings will keep it interesting. The flavor profile of nachos and tequila just works, and the fact that it also satisfies our munchies is the ultimate achievement. It’s the pairing of all pairings, and it is the perfect way to end a night of drinking.
What do you think Guilty Eaters? Will you be pairing your Tequila with any of these? And are you planning to indulge a little today? Let us know in the comments.