When it comes to the holidays, there are beverages everywhere that we are reaching for and thinking about. And there really are a lot of festive drinks to choose from. But what are the top seven Christmas drinks?
Thanks to a new study from Tasting Table, not only do we know what the most popular Christmas drinks are in all 50 states, but we also know the top seven most popular drinks in the country. Interestingly enough, as soon as the holiday season arrives, there is an increase in searches on Google for Christmas themed drinks. In fact, the data from the study found that there was a “400% increase in demand for Christmas punch” just in the last month.
And yes, the way that they determined the top seven Christmas drinks in the country was based on what is typically searched for on Google. It makes perfect sense as so many of us are searching for how to make these drinks at home. So what exactly are the top seven Christmas drinks?
The top 7 drinks for Christmas in the U.S. based on how many states favor them
- 7. Christmas Sangria – In the number seven spot is Christmas sangria, which is apparently the most favored beverage of people in South Carolina, Massachusetts, and New York. And as someone who has lived in two of those three states, it makes perfect sense. We do love our sangria in both Massachusetts and New York.
- 6. Mulled Wine – Our sixth most popular drink is also the most searched for in three states. It’s an interesting drink choice, especially when you consider the three states that are looking for it are New Mexico, Nebraska, and Arkansas. With this being a hot beverage, we actually would’ve expected to find this being popular in other states. But maybe that’s just us.
- 5. Wassail – Honestly, we had never heard of this particular drink, so we had to do a Google of our own. Technically, this is the third most searched for Christmas drink in all of the United States. However, it is only popular in five. But what is this hot beverage? Apparently it’s a fruity beverage that includes apple cider, orange juice, apples, and spices, such as ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, star, and even cloves. It sounds like a very festive beverage, and we’re excited to learn more about it.
- 4. Eggnog – I feel like eggnog is a classic staple of the holidays, so I was surprised not to see this in the number one spot. However, it is a popular drink in six states, including Hawaii, Vermont, West Virginia, and North Dakota. It’s definitely a popular drink in our home.
- 3. Coquito – Another interesting addition to this list is Coquito. This is a popular Christmas drink in eight states, including Florida, New Jersey, Texas, and Maryland. And honestly, we are surprised not to see it popular in a few other states as well.
- 2. Christmas Punch – Not only is Christmas punch number two on our list based on the fact that it is popular in eight states, but it is also the second most popular holiday drink across the entire country. So not only is it popular in these states, but technically it is a very popular holiday drink overall. However, we have to point out that Christmas punch may look different, depending on where you live, or how your family chooses to make this beverage. That being said, recipes typically include such juices as orange and cranberry, and your choice of either a sparkling wine, or a spiced rum. And since this is a punch, you may find holiday fruits incorporated into the mix, as well as things like ginger ale, or apple cider.
- 1. Poinsettia Cocktail – Once again, this cocktail is not only the most searched for in 12 states but it is actually the top holiday drink of 2023. Not only is it the most searched for drink, but it is the number one drink for 12 states! That makes this a popular beverage. And as someone who has had this particular cocktail before I can admit that it is a good choice. It is very easy to make and it’s festive thanks to its vibrant red hue.
Honestly, we love learning about what is popular at the holidays. And considering how many cocktails and mocktails are out there, it’s interesting to see which drinks actually are the most popular across the country.
But we want to know what you think. Are you surprised by the top seven Christmas drinks across the United States? Had you heard of the number five drink on the list? Which of these cocktails is your holiday favorite? Or do you have a different drink that you love?